page logo
 
 

Home :: Photographs and Information :: Buildings & Architecture

Buildings and Architecture

Alexander Dining Hall  | Alumnae Hall  | Art Museum  | Boyd Science Hall  | Bridges  | Clawson Hall  | Corson House  | Duck Pond and Ice house  | Engine House  | Ernst Nature Theatre  | Farms  | Gates  | Grey Gables  | Grounds  | Hillside - AKA Barracks or Cottage  | Home Management House - AKA East Cottage  | Hoyt Library  | Kumler Chapel  | Langstroth cottage  | Western Lodge  | Mary Lyon Hall  | McKee Hall  | Molyneaux - Western Tower  | Patterson Place  | Peabody Hall  | Presser Hall  | Sawyer Gymnasium  | Stancote Cottage  | Edgar Stillman Kelley Studio  | Summer House  | Thomson Hall  |


Alexander Dining Hall
- Completed in 1962
- Nicknamed "Alex" by students
- Financed largely by an alumna, Bess Mason Alexander, and subsequently named after her
- Located at the back of Clawson Hall
Top
Alumnae Hall
- Completed in 1892
- Constructed with financing from alumnae, and used by students as a library, laboratory area, art department, and more
- Contained an elaborate stained-glass piece, The Tillinghast Window, that was later displayed at the Chicago World's Fair, and is now in Kumler Chapel
- Was located between Boyd Science Hall and Peabody Hall
- Torn down in 1977
Top
Art Museum
- Completed in 1978
- Designed by Walter Netsch of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, Chicago
- Home to a three and a half acre sculpture park
Top
Boyd Science Hall
- Completed in 1947
- Originally named Science Building
- Was renamed for former President William Waddell Boyd in 1963
- Has a greenhouse attached to the side
Top
Bridges
- Designed and Built by Cephas Burns
- Contracted by Dr. Boyd to replace all the wooden bridges with stone
- Cephas Burns took great pride in his work, to the extent that he hand selected all the stones from local creeks and quarries
Top
Clawson Hall
- Built in 1948
- Taken on as an alumnae project, though a large amount was given through the will of Edith Clawson
- Alexander Dining Hall was built adjoining the back of the dorm in 1962
- Currently home of Miami University's International Dorm
Top
Corson House
- Built as home to Dr. Oscar Corson sometime before 1931
- Staff of the University had the option to build on Western property with the understanding that the building would eventually revert back to the college
- After the death of the Corsons, the property was passed to Western College
Top
Duck Pond and Ice house
- Man-made pond
- Home to two swans donated to Western College
- Ice House was converted around 1900 to a boat house when the water level in the pond reached new levels
- Bridge over the pond was designed by Cephas Burns
Top
Engine House
- Built shortly after the third Peabody Hall was complete, to provide heat and later electricity to the college.
- One of just three building built before 1900, Peabody Hall and Alumnae Hall
- Still in use to this day though its means for generating power have changed, now it works mainly with coal to generate steam
Top
Ernst Nature Theatre
- Completed in 1922
- Dedicated on Tree Day, a former Western tradition.
- Gift from Sen. Richard Ernst
- Theater is used for concerts, plays, festivals and many other outdoor events
Top
Farms
- Western College owned a total of five farms over the course of its history.
- Farm 1 - the Main Western College Farm; grew mainly corn and wheat; also vegetables for college; raised pigs; sold in 1956 as the Juniper Hills subdivision
- Farm 2 - the Dairy Barn; sold in 1947 after barn burned to the ground forcing closure
- Farm 3 and 4 - grew corn and wheat for feed; sold before 1943 for unknown financial reasons
Top
Gates
- Gates stand at all the major transportation and foot paths that have been used for the Western College over the years.
- Gates still remain on the sidewalk leading to Patterson Place and at the entrance to the Miami University Art Museum
Top
Grey Gables
- Built in 1930
- Dr. Boyd had the house built as a retirement home when he left his position as President of the Western College
- Sold in 1958 to Miami University, it became a guest house and later offices
- When Emerson and Tappen Halls were being built, Grey Gables was moved south to the corner of Chestnut and Patterson.
Top
Grounds
- The Grounds of Western College growing through time.
- The first picture is around 1855 and the last 1970.
Top
Hillside - AKA Barracks or Cottage
- Built in 1919
- Hastily constructed in the wartime style to solve a housing shortage
- In 1934, renovated and renamed the Cottage
- Later renamed Hillside
- Meant for temporary use only, yet stood for many years
- Home to the Infirmary for most of its life
- Built attached to the south face of Sawyer Gymnasium
Top
Home Management House - AKA East Cottage
- Originally built as a home for the steward
- During times of over-crowding it, along with many other houses owned by Western College, was used for overflow student housing.
- Later, as Domestic Science and Home Economics came about as classes, East cottage was turned into a practice house for student use
Top
Hoyt Library
- Completed in 1972
- Named after Phyllis Hoyt, Dean of Students 1946-74
- Was originally used as a library for Western, to replace Alumnae Hall
- Now holds the CPPO, offices and more
Top
Kumler Chapel
- Completed in 1918
- Named after Reverend Jeremiah Prophet Elias Kumler, a Miami University graduate and Western Trustee and benefactor
- The design for the chapel is based on a church in a small Normandy village
- The chapel no longer holds regular services, but is used for special events, such as weddings, graduation ceremonies and more
Top
Langstroth cottage
- Built in 1856
- Home Rev Lorenzo Langstroth, known as the inventor of the moveable frame beehive
- Later purchased by Susan Peabody, Helen's niece, and donated to the Western College
- Home to Miami University International Office and Miami University Luxembourg Program Office
Top
Western Lodge
- Completed in 1926
- Logs were brought in from Colorado near donator Col. A. E. Humphreys' home
- Used as a headquarters for YWCA when it constructed
- Later it became a recreation hall, as it is to this day.
Top
Mary Lyon Hall
- Completed in 1934
- Named after Mary Lyon, founder of Mount Holyoke Seminary, which greatly influenced Western College
- Built on ground donated by the Patterson Estate
- One of three dorms still in use for Western students
Top
McKee Hall
- Completed in 1904
- Originally named "New Hall"
- Renamed in 1917 after Leila S. McKee, an alumna, president, and trustee of Western College
- One of three dorms still in use for Western students
Top
Molyneaux - Western Tower
- Constructed in 1978
- House the 11 original Heath Chimes, formerly housed in the Alumnae Hall Bee Tower, and 3 bells added in 1978
Top
Patterson Place
- Completed in 1898
- Originally named "Glenwilde"
- Used as a summer home by James R. Patterson, and was his residence at his time of death in 1913
- Patterson house and land were given to Western in 1914
- House was renamed "Patterson Place" in 1914 and housed the presidents until 1974, and now holds the offices of the Western College Alumnae Association
Top
Peabody Hall
- Completed in 1855
- Originally named "Seminary Hall"
- Renamed in 1905 after Helen Peabody, founder of the Western Seminary
- Burnt down in 1861 and rebuilt, burnt down again in 1871 and again rebuilt
- Remodeled in 1974 after the Miami University - Western College merger
- One of three dorms still in use for Western students; also houses classrooms and offices
Top
Presser Hall
- Built in 1931
- The Theodore Presser Foundation covered half of all expenses for the construction of a music hall
- Used as a music hall and auditorium for all large College functions
- For a period, Presser Hall was used by both Miami University and Western College
- The building is still used for classes and lectures in various departments at Miami University
Top
Sawyer Gymnasium
- Completed in 1914
- Named after then acting president Mary Alma Sawyer
- Housed a swimming pool and gymnasium equipment
- Used for storage and Ernst theatre dressing rooms
Top
Stancote Cottage
- Built in 1933
- Miss Ida Windate, an English professor at Western College, had the house built.
- The cottage was later used as housing
- Stancote become part of Miami University, when the merger took place in 1974
Top
Edgar Stillman Kelley Studio
- Completed in 1916
- Originally used as the home of Edgar Stillman Kelley, artist-in-residence at Western
- Financed by the fundraising efforts of the class of 1916, of whom Dr. Kelley was the faculty sponsor
- Now available for use by incoming faculty and administration
Top
Summer House
- Built in the early days of the Western College
- Located near the pond with a staircase leading down to the north banks of the pond
- Cephas Burns modified it to be the stone structure that stands to this day
Top
Thomson Hall
- Completed in 1963
- Originally called New Dormitory
- Named after Mary Moore Dabney Thomson, Board member from 1933 - 1952, President from 1941 - 1945
- Currently houses Miami University Students
Top
Home :: Photographs and Information :: Buildings & Architecture
© Miami University Libraries 2014